Thursday, April 29, 2010

Message Board

We have plenty of message boards in my house.

It's great for tacking on coupons or phone #'s. Sort of like the face of a fridge.




Or how about when I crafted this one?


I use this one a lot less. I guess because I don't yet have a great place to put it...


The kids have one MAJOR rule at my house. (Well...at least my oldest does because he's the only one old enough to go places by himself...).

If you go somewhere, make sure someone knows where you are.

About 3 years ago, I had to quick run to the store. I grabbed my toddler son and went outside to get my oldest.
He was nowhere in sight...
I tried calling his name, I checked the neighbor's houses...
Couldn't find him...
I started panicking!
I strapped my little guy in the van and started driving all around the neighborhood, yelling for him.
(Got some strange looks on that one!)
I finally drove home so that I could call my husband....
There he was, crying on the front porch.
He never told me he left our yard to play with a friend, he came home, and I was gone! (Out looking for him, lol!)
That event was a great teaching tool. It showed him that my rules aren't meant to be mean, but for safety!
Now he always lets us know where he's going ;)

Anyways, so I figured I would help give my kids options for this rule. My oldest is 10, and before I know it, he'll be old enough to be at home by himself. I know that I need a good place to write notes to each other to communicate.
I remember writing my mom notes all the time, to tell her where I was going <3


My mudroom was the perfect place!
I was working with this:

Yes, I know I still have St. Patty's Day decor up.
See that lime pastel green color?

I changed it out to white.
That way if I ever get bored with the room color, I will never have to paint the door again!

Oh, just a warning, the picture quality on this post is going to be terrible. I was in too much of a hurry dealing with a setting sun to care about getting that "perfect" picture.

I found this old clipboard in my basement. It was my husband's.

I think I'm going to stop nagging my husband about being a pack rat.
I seem to find a lot of cool stuff in his "junk" bins =)

It even had a cool map of the city on the back.
No cool history on this one.
It was his clipboard from his pizza delivery guy days!


So I found a pencil and drilled a hole near the top.


I threaded it through, tied it off, then tied the other end to the clipboard.

I purchased some velcro and stuck that on the top and bottom.


Then I smooshed it on my door.


It's also a perfect place to write love notes to my husband!



Don't worry! I haven't forgotten about the playhouse! I'm just waiting until I get further along for more "WOW" factor!
It's almost ready for paint, so stick around to catch that!

I am also about to start 3 MAJOR projects, two requiring building permits. I have only a two week window between the end of my spring semester and the start of my summer semester (yes, I take classes in the summer!), so I'm going to try busting butt to get as much done in that window as possible!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails