Friday, March 13, 2009

Beat the bully's ass

I think I'm taking Sebastian on a walk today. Clear my mind a little. I think I'm going to throw a party for myself today. A pity party, lol.

Will got another detention. For fighting a kid. Then Joe took Will to his wrestling practice, where a kid, from my neighborhood of course, called him Will "Poop-quette" and Joe said "you need to stick up for yourself."

So here are my thoughts: if Will went up to that kid and punched him square between the eyes, I don't think I would be that upset. He would stick up for himself. But yet when he comes home with a detention for fighting, we ground him. So I have no idea what we are actually supposed to teach him. I don't want to condone fighting, but most of the time he fights because kids are ALWAYS picking on him.

When I was a kid, I always portrayed myself as a bad-ass. Knock out someone's tooth, and everyone leaves you alone. But that back-fired. A girl came up to me at a bar 2 years ago and said "I always wanted to talk to you, but I was always afraid you'd punch me." OUCH!

So do I tell Will to stand up to these bullies, or do I teach him to ignore? I don't want people walking all over him, yet I don't want him to think violence is the key. Ahhhh...child-raising....

There is much more for me to sort through on Sebastian's walk, but I think my 5 minute pity party is much enough. I'll throw the rest by myself =).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails