Saturday, September 19, 2009

Creating Storage Space

Want to see what I did with that darn space under my corner bench?
This is what I started with. The basket underneath was too small for the space, and I hate seeing cords.

So after a good tip to try decorating with some books, this is what I had. I liked it, but not in my bedroom. My room is very modern chic, and the basket and books looked too eclectic. I don't even have dressers in my room because I don't want the space to look busy. Gah....so now what should I do?


So I get this awesome idea! I'm going to build a door under the bench to create some much needed storage space while still keeping with the clean lines of the room. All I needed was to buy some hinges. The rest of this project came from scrap materials, even the leather!

So I measured the space and cut a piece of plywood to size with my trusty table saw.

Then I stapled my brown leather onto it. Convenient that I own leather in the chocolate accent color of my room, right? I added some upholstery nails to it to give it a little punch.




Then I screwed some hinges on it, mounted it to my floor, made a little leather pull tab so that it can easily be opened (but not easily seen), and this is what I had.



This is what it looks like when it's opened. I'm going to be putting a piece of leather over the unfinished wood, but for now it's okay.


But it still looked unfinished to me. So I brought back the basket with my garter from my wedding, my fountain, and the bamboo my husband picked out for me a while back.



Here's what the end product is.


Coming up: a look at some faux roman shades, making an old magazine rack feel like new, and an awesome find at an awesome store!



1 comment:

  1. Be sure to come by tonight around 9pm (Eastern time) for the announcement so you don't miss out. I promise-it good-really really good.
    Cheri
    Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails