Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bird House Post

Wow, have I been busy the past two days!

I want to streamline the bookcases that I just built in the living room, and I realized that I have a lot of stuff that can be relocated.

One was a birdhouse that my step-son made my husband and me for our wedding.

Isn't that sweet?
<3

Anyways, it's been on display in our house for the past few years, and I've finally decided that it should be used outdoors.
It is afterall, a birdhouse!


So. I'm still not in the clear with my financial situation. Hubby is still desperately job searching.
:(

Luckily, I had all the material to make a pretty darn good post for this bird house.

1. A scrap 1x4 from my board and batten project. (In this photo, the board is already cut to make a stake.)
2. A plaque that my MIL gave to me. She new I would be able to use it somehow!
3. The finial from my old message center. I never used it, so I tore it apart.


I pre-drilled three holes in the plaque.


I screwed that into the top of my 1x4 using 2" screws. I used just the two outside holes.


Then I screwed in the finial using the middle hole.


This is what you should have now.


I spray-painted the entire thing white. The spray paint was left over from a different project that I did yesterday.


Then I spray-polyed (left over from some random project. Not sure which one...) the crap out of the birdhouse to preserve it. This birdhouse means a lot to me, so I don't want it to rot or anything. I put 4 coats on it just to make sure.
;)

Isn't that cute? He signed the bottom.
:)


Anyways, after screwing in a 1 1/2" screw to hold the birdhouse in place, all I had to do was pound it into the ground!



I put it right in the middle of my raspberry/blackberry garden.

Project Cost: FREE!


Isn't it lovely?

Don't laugh at my Photoshop skills, but I just wanted to show you what it would look like when my bushes are at mature height.


Haha. I could have edited this one in Microsoft Paint!

Oh! And both my raspberry bushes are already producing fruit! I planted them only a few months ago. They weren't supposed to bear fruit for another two seasons.
I happily ate two whole berries.
;)




Coming up: Cafe Shutters, 3rd Kitchen Rugs, Bathroom Moulding, Country Skillet Recipe, and more!

4 comments:

  1. I have 2 spots for birdhouses and no birdhouses!
    p.s. I love your mature bushes!
    p.p.s. found your blog via Tools are for Women too

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet project... and you gotta love FREE. I love your photoshop'ing too... you made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute birdhouse! Love it's new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a special gift. I'm glad you have found a special place for it.
    I love the way your post turned out, the finial, and your BUSHES! hahaha
    gail

    ReplyDelete

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails