Saturday, June 12, 2010

Rhubarb Lemonade

I'm not a big fan of rhubarb.
It really needs to be sugared up for it to taste remotely good.
Oddly enough, I like growing the beasts.
Actually, I love growing any perennial fruits and veggies.
So I finally got to harvest my rhubarb this spring!


Then it got me thinking, "Lemonade is sour, so why couldn't you do a rhubarb lemonade?"

Well, you can!

I found quite a few recipes online.
I finally found one that was doable (do-able?)
Of course, I had to tweak it to my own taste.


Ingredients


7 cups chopped rhubarb

3 cups white sugar

1 1/2 cups lemon juice

1 gal. water

Directions

1.Combine the rhubarb and sugar into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the sugar has dissolved and the rhubarb releases its juice and starts to break up, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.

2.Pour the rhubarb mixture through a fine sieve, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
I had no idea what a sieve was, so I had to do a little research to buy one.

3. Pour the syrup mixture and 1 gallon of water into a container (ice cream bucket or old milk jug would work great!) You may need a funnel for this! Shake it up and serve!


Just the right mixture between sour and tart!





1 comment:

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails