Monday, April 5, 2010

Reclaimed Wood Coffee Table

There are two blogs that I follow religiously. If they left the blogosphere, I would wander around uselessly. Seriously.

One of them is Knock Off Wood.
Knock Off Wood
Ana makes woodworking plans.
I have a lot of woodworking books, but a lot of the plans are so complicated to follow (even if it's a simple plan, most plans are just poorly written!)
Ana turns name brand furniture into plans that are super easy to follow!
I seriously needed a new coffee table. I refinished this one, because I liked the storage. I wasn't happy with the style. This is something that I would find at my grandma's house.


Anyways, after perusing Ana's site for a while, I came upon a plan for a coffee table. Her version was rectangular, and I needed a large square one. So I modified her base to make a 3'x3' coffee table.

I had ALMOST all the wood already. I dove into my scrap wood pile. I did, however, need 1 8' 2x2 and 1 more 8' 1x4.
I made this:


Instead of buying more 1x4's for the top, I salvaged a neighbor's old broken fence panel that was destined for the dump. Most of the boards were beyond repair, but all I needed was half of each board on only half the panel to be in decent shape.

I cut them to size, nailed them on, stained it with a dark walnut stain, and put 3 coats of poly on the top.


See the wood knots on the legs? I really love the imperfections on the wood. I'm actually going to be distressing the white base soon to accent the imperfections.

I love it!

Sorry for the terrible picture. I was too excited to share this project to clean my living room.

Total Project Cost: $3.74 for the wood that I didn't already have.

This is the first step to a major overhaul of my living room.
I'm not telling what the end will look like. It won't be done until a year from now.
We are spending our taxes on a much needed fence. Next year our taxes will go to renovating this room.





20 comments:

  1. Great job! Soooo awesome! So. . . what's the other blog you're referring to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's The Lettered Cottage. I'm addicted to Layla and Kevin. I'm so addicted to her decorating that I'm thinking about consulting her for my living room remodel. She's a bit pricey, but it's well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that table is awesome! I love the look of the fencing planks that you were able to use!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS!!!!!!! (And I too love your other fave..."The Lettered Cottage" Whenever I see Kevin and his band on one of those Rock Compilation CD commercials my first thought is "Hey! I know him!" which I obviously DON'T! LOL! I'm a dork!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is so awesome! I am showing this to my husband! I want one of those tables!

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely delightful! I hopped over from Twice Remembered and am so happy that I did. Please accept my invitation and drop in at my place one day this week when you get a moment. I have become a follower and I hope that you will do the same. until later...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness - I love it! You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! I just HAD to check out your "table post" because I LOVE that you used reclaimed fence wood for the top. May I say that THAT is the COOLEST table and the fence wood really makes it perfect. I'm moving soon from FL to RI and my BIL is a restoration carpenter who always has lots of old stuff from his jobs. You just know that I'll be stalking him for some old wonky wood to use for MY table top. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brittany,
    Thanks for coming to NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS...hope you had a good time looking at all the great treasures. Your table looks outstanding!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! Thanks for linking up, come and check out all the other great ideas that will keep coming all day!! I also love Knock Off Wood, that woman...like yourself...is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness girl!! That rocks!!! Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous table! Great job!
    Sincerely ~ Trish

    ReplyDelete
  13. can you give me the specs so I can make one too? my husband doesn't think I can do it and i have NEVER done anything like this but I'm determined!

    ReplyDelete

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails