Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How NOT to Make a Candle

Why all the crafts lately? I have discovered Edin. My Utopia. Yes, I'm talking about Hobby Lobby!
WOW! I heard that place rocked, but I didn't know how truly awesome and incredible that place really is!

Since it is now past my mother's birthday, I can officially show you what I made her.


I started out with these supplies.



I put the wax crystals in a Ziploc bag. Then I slowly dumped my sample of perfume/cologne in it. Bonus if it's the same perfume/cologne that they wear!
Shake it all up for a while.





Put the wick in your votives and start slowly filling it with your wax crystals.





Put that in your oven on a cookie sheet on 170 degrees until the wax is melted.

Don't worry, the glass won't explode at this low temperature!





Let that cool. You can tell it's done when it is no longer transparent.





Cut the wick to size.





Then I ran some contact paper through the Cricut to spell out my mom's name.





Then I carefully put the contact paper on the face of the votive.





Then I used etching cream to engrave it.

You can find this stuff at Hobby Lobby ;)


And wouldn't you know it, I forgot to take an "after" picture before I wrapped it.



Okay, I'm going to tell you right now. This is NOT the right way to make a candle!! The insides sank like a cake taken out of the oven too early! I was graciously told by my much wiser step-dad that candles should be poured in layers. OOOooohhhh....so that's what those metal pouring cans were for.....


Anyways, it still wasn't bad for my first candle-making attempt.

As I've found in the past, most of my best accomplishments are made from my past's worst failures.


Plus, she's my mom. She will always love all my "iNperfections" ;)





5 comments:

  1. Wonderful for your first attempt. I love that you etched the glass. Is that easy? I really want to try it.
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a wonderful job for your first candle. Like the personalized touch of etching her name in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks cute even if it didn't turn out great. LOL

    I love Hobby Lobby too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy- the etching was by far the easiest part!
    It really helps if you have a Cricut, though. Exacto knives can be pretty tedious.
    All you do is press on your contact paper, brush on the etching cream, wait 5-10 minutes, then wash off!
    Soooo easy!
    I really really want to etch everything in my house now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a candle-making kit when I was a kid. I'd forgotten about the 'making it in layers' until you wrote this. Now it's all coming back to me.
    Your first attempt looks nice. xx

    ReplyDelete

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails