Thursday, August 20, 2009

Ham and Cheese Chowder

I have this awesome chowder in the crock right now, and since it's pouring out (hence I can't get any outside projects done) I might as well do up a post on tonight's supper.

Ham and Cheese Chowder
--------------------------
-6 cups water
-8 russet spuds
-2 lbs. ham, cubed
-2 stalks celery, diced
-1/2 large rutabaga (or use 4 carrots, sliced. I just want to get rid of my rutabaga that refuses to go bad)
-large yellow onion, finely chopped
-bit-o-salt
-bit-o-pepper
-2 lbs cheese, cubed (I'm using Colby, but variations of cheddar and American work well, too)
-3/4 cup parmesan cheese
-1/4 cup butter
-1/2 cup flour
-3 cups milk

Combine the potatoes, onions, celery, ham, water, salt and pepper in a 6 qt. crockpot. Cover and cook on high for about 5 hours. In a saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour to form a paste. Add your milk and continue to heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Add parmesan and your other cheese to the sauce, stir until dissolved. Pour this cheese sauce over everything in the crock, stirring well to blend. Reduce heat to "warm" or "low" until you're ready to serve.


Want to hear something cute? I have the cutest little squirrel out in my "Gazebo Bird Feeder" right now! Poor guy is waiting for the rain to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails