Sunday, May 3, 2009

French Onion Soup

I made two excellent crock meals last night. But the one that I will share is my second fav soup: french onion. Yummy! You can make it the lazy way with packets, but it tastes 1,000 times better when it's slow-cooked and cared for.

I used my 4-qt cooker for this. I got this recipe from a book, but I found that I absolutely hated the recipe, so I made my own changes. Much better.....

French Onion Soup
--------------------

1 large onion
3 tbs. cornstarch
8 cups water
8 beef bouillon cubes
salt to taste
1 cup milk or half and half
4 tsp. Worcesteshire sauce
Swiss cheese slices
toasted french bread
3 egg yolks

1. Slice your onion into rings and put them in the crock. Add beef cubes, water, and salt. Cover and heat on high for about 4 hours.
2. Beat egg yolks, stir in milk or half and half, and Worcestershire sauce. Add that to the crock, cover, and heat for another 2 hours.
3. Dissolve the cornstarch in a bit of water, pour that into the crock. Put it on low until you are ready to serve.
4. Put some swiss cheese on the bottom of the bowl, then toasted french bread, then some more cheese. Pour your soup on and wait a few minutes for the cheese to melt. Eat!

It's sooooooo yummy. I'm taking the leftovers to work today. It'll be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails