Thursday, May 28, 2009

Beer recipes, Honey Ham, and Biscuits

We like our beer up here in the north woods. So I'm making it Beer Day today. And I made some pretty good food yesterday, I'm going to bombard you with some recipes today.

Today's supper:

Wisconsin Beer and Cheese Soup
-------------------------------------------
Paprika and dried Thyme to taste
1 can of beer (I use Miller lite)
4 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 large onion
4 garlic cloves
1 lb of cheese (I like mild or sharb cheddar, but colby tastes good, too)
1 cup milk
2 tbs butter

1. Get out your crock. I used my 4 qt. (Notice I like the 4 qt for soups?)
2. Throw in the paprika, thyme, beer, water, cubes, milk and butter.
3. Throw the 1/2 onion and garlic into a food processor until it's all finely minced. Toss that in the crock
4. Cut up the cheese into cubes and toss that in.
5. Cook on high for 1 hour. (Sometimes the cheese isn't melted all the way yet, so you can leave it for longer if it's not.)
****DON'T LET THIS SOUP SIT FOR TOO LONG ON HIGH, THE CHEESE WILL CLUMP AND CURDLE. IF YOU NEED TO HAVE IT SIT FOR A WHILE B/C OF A PARTY, USE VELVETTA!!!***
I like to toast up some french bread in the oven and dip that in the soup. Yummy!



Double Beer Brats
----------------------
Made just like regular beer brats, but I buy pre-packaged beer brats and start the whole process.
I used another crock just b/c I don't feel like lifting a finger tonight for supper.
Beer brats
Beer
Water
1. Dump in 2 cans of beer into the crock
2. Add 2 cups of water.
3. Add a pkg. of beer brats and let sit for a few hours.
You can serve it just like that, or pop them onto the grill afterwards. Your choice.

*NOTE* To all those parents who are scolding me for serving up beer foods, if beer is cooked, all the alcohol is cooked out. So don't worry, you're not getting your kids drunk. Anyone from "da Nort'" should know this.


Yesterday's supper:

Biscuits with Sausage Gravy
------------------------------
Country gravy mix
smoked sausage
bakery mix

I use bakery mix instead of doing this from scratch. I cheated. You can cheat further by just buying premade biscuit rolls.

1. Preheat the oven to 450.
2. Biscuits : 3 1/3 cups bakery mix 1 1/4 cup water or milk mix that all up
3. Grease up a pan and lay the biscuit dough all over it.
4. Bake 10 minutes
5. Gravy: I cheated with the mix packet. Make the gravy as directed on the packet. Then add finely chopped smoked sausage.
6. Take the biscuits out of the oven, slice it into squares with a pizza cutter, then dump the gravy all over it.


Honey Ham
--------------
Ham
Honey (hehe, duh)

1. Get out a griddle or a large flat pan. Dump a crazy amount of honey in it. Heat it up
2. Thinly slice your ham. I did mine about 1/4 inch
3. Start frying it up. Make sure to get both sides

Your honey may take a weird reddish color after a while, but don't worry, it's normal. It'll still taste good.


So that's all the recipes that I have for you! I am currently working on my outdoor needlepoint project. It took me 12 hours straight yesterday, and I'm not even halfway finished! I had NO IDEA that it would be this much work! But it is very calming, so I'm not complaining. Once I get it done, hopefully by tomorrow, I will post a how-to. Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails