Saturday, February 19, 2011

Wall Building

Just as a heads up, I'll be here pretty sparse until about May.
All my free time is spent either studying, being in class, or practicing like crazy in a nursing lab.
Next month I will be starting my clinicals, so it will be even more quiet around here.

Heck, I barely get to see my family right now.
=(

But today, I have the day off from work, I don't have school, and I'm pretty much caught up in everything, so I have a spare minute or two.
;)


A few weeks ago, I built a wall in my kneewall closet. I've taken down walls before, but I've never built one. It's great that I was able to practice on something small that people won't see.

So today, I'm going to show you the progress, as well as teach you some lingo.


The frame is the skeleton of your house.
It usually consists of a bottom plate, top plate, and all the studs in between.
Studs are normally spaced 16" on center.
If a door is added, however, you will also need a header, cripple studs, king studs, and possibly trimmer studs.
I didn't put a trimmer stud on my wall, well....because I didn't really see the need for it.

Maybe it's because I also cut my own door jamb and I'm making my own door.
I just didn't see the need when the door was in a little kneewall.


I then put up drywall on both sides.


It's already taped and mudded, but I didn't take a picture of that.

Then I had to make the door jamb.
I had to rip-cut a 1x6 to the width of my studs + the thickness of both pieces of drywall.



Yes, I know that you would usually have a trimmer stud there, buy a door + jamb kit, and shim it level and plumb, but remember...it's just a kneewall closet door.

I'm more concerned about cost.
=D


Anyways, that's about as far as I have gotten. The rest of the flooring is purchased, but not installed.
I still need to prime and paint the entire closet.
The trim needs to be installed.
I need to cut out the door and attach it to the jamb.
I have to install the door stop on the jamb.
I have to add the door hardware.


Unfortunately, I barely have even a spare 30 minutes to do any of this.

I have a Spring Break coming up in a month, and I'm going to power it out all in 1-2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails