Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mirror Re-do

I had this mirror in my hallway. It's paint was peeling, and it wasn't even artistically that great. I basically hated it...



But the reason I painted it was because I needed to cover up a "mirror scratching" project that lie underneath. I started it in high school, and it was turning out horribly, so I abandoned ship. Look at this thing...

Well, I knew that I had to make a similar design on it, to once again cover the horrible mirror scratching project. So I made a circle template, traced around the old design on the mirror with highlighter (crayola markers would work too!), and pressed my template on it...





Then, using the highlights as a guide, I drew my new design and cut it out using an Exacto knife. I taped the template onto my mirror...




Then I protected the surrounding area with a lot of magazine pages...







Then I started spray painting. I chose white. I think it's a classic for anything you do. Anyways, spray several thin layers. Glass obviously isn't porous, and you'll get crazy drips everywhere if you don't let it fully dry between thin coats. This is what I ended up with...






But it still didn't look right to me. So I made a bow using white wired ribbon, secured the sides with an upholstery nail to give a finished edge (since this mirror is permanently fixed to my wall), and stepped back to admire my handy-work. Ya like?

Posts coming up: Faux Roman shades, Bow Holder, and my solution for that crazy space under the Corner Bench. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails