Sunday, March 27, 2011

Closet Progress

I completely forgot to show you the work I had done in my closet before the inspector came.

Sorry!


I took down this row of hooks.

I know it's just a closet, but screwing some hooks into a 1x4 just seems lazy to me.

Like my mom says:
"Do it right the first time or just don't do it at all."

It's solid advice, really.


So I routed the edges, primed and painted it, and reattached the hooks.

I don't have a picture for you. I'm going to wait 'til the closet is fully done.


Then, my oldest helped me out in the shop to build a door.


Those hinges are awesome. They are old cast iron hinges that were in my grandpa's workshop.
I picked them up the day before I took this picture.
What luck, hey?

My grandma is moving out of her house, so we're clearing everything out.
I have some pretty awesome antique tools.


The doorknob was also free. I was looking for something in my workshop, and I ended up finding the little wooden knob.

I still have to paint the door, though.
It's going to be painful to paint. You know how much I love birch grain. I'm going to hate covering up such beauty, but the door would look best white.



I still have a lot of work to do in the closet. However, it probably won't be done until after the Spring semester, in a little less than 2 months.

I was really hoping to knock it all out during Spring Break, but that didn't happen.
I need to buy a whole new box of floor planks, because I'm one plank short.
They don't sell individual pieces, either.
See it in the left corner?


And of course I can't put in the baseboard until that piece of flooring is down. I don't want to paint the door trim (those are primed pieces) until the baseboard is up.


List of closet stuff to do:
-paint the door
-finish the flooring
-put in the baseboard
-wood putty the nail holes and paint all the trim
-put up the wall hooks
-build a light box to cover the fluorescent tube lights
-build a shoe/purse cubby area

I'm also going to be building some utility shelving inside the utility part of the closet for paint cans.
It will be much easier than tripping over everything in our messy basement.



On another note, we had a taste of Spring in our area. Most of the snow was gone, my flowers were poking out of the ground, the birds were chirping.
Then we had a crazy nasty snowstorm.


But we're in full Spring mode anyways.
The snow will melt eventually.
;)

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! We had the snow storm too! And that was on Wednesday and it's still cold! Make it stop! Make it stooooop! Some good Spring renovating in your closet is just the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails