Thursday, October 8, 2009

Reupholstered Ottoman

Alright, everything's dry (though the coffee table is going to get another 1,000 coats to make it super-shiny), so you can finally get a look at my reupholstered ottoman.

My husband bought this ottoman a few years ago, right after we bought our house. It was bright red velvet with shiny silver metal legs. Does that even sound normal?


I don't even have a picture of it. With my camera not functioning, I wasn't going to wait. I tried scouring my archives of pictures to see if it was in the background of one, but no such luck. So just use your imagination.



Anyways, there was one good thing about this ottoman: It was a storage ottoman. I love storage.



So there was no way that I was just going to toss a perfectly good storage ottoman.

Reupholster it!



This is what I got:



The color doesn't match perfectly, but it's the closest I could get. Plus I think the flash brought out a little bit of that bright red that is underneath, because it looks like an almost perfect match in front of me right now.


See the cute new legs I put on? Much better than those silver abominations.



Anyways, here are some details:



The top where I sewed a white button on intersecting pleats.





Here are the pleats.



I cheated a bit on the pleats. Instead of folding the fabric back every once in a while, I upholstered the entire ottoman, then made strips with the leftover fabric. I folded the strips to hide the unfinished edge, then stapled those at intervals. Easy, right?







Ready for another sneak peek?


Hmmm...well something's obviously being painted. It can't be that old basement window because of that funky edge. It I didn't know any better, I would say that it looks like an "I" (but it's not!)

1 comment:

  1. What a great job you did on the ottoman redo! Haha@ the "does that even sound normal" comment about the red velvet and silver legs! It's a real beauty now, though!

    Thanks for passing on the idea about pressing flowers into old window pains! That sounds so pretty! So many uses for old windows!

    ReplyDelete

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails